7 Best Free Online Image Compressor & Optimizer Tools – Compared & Tested
In this tutorial, we’ll discuss the best software to compress and optimize images and photos (jpg and png) without loosing its quality (best free online image compressor).
Images are one kind of web assets that sometimes take a large space of a web page. Compressing image is important as it will cut down the image size so that can reduce the web page load time and save bandwidth usage both for user and server.
Here, we’ll use online tools. Why online tools?
We’ve tried various desktop-based image compression software like FileMinimizer, PNG Gauntlet, Offie Picture Manager, etc but the result doesn’t satisfy enough, so I switch to use web-based version.
In this tutorial, we’ll test the application by compressing two types of images, that are JPG and PNG. In order to cover more possibilities, the JPG image contains a text with a certain color (orange).
The JPG image looks like the following:
Lossy vs Lossless
When compressing images, there are two commonly used methods, that are lossy and lossless. Each application we test here provides this feature, either one or both.
In the lossy method, the image is compressed in such a way that it produces a very small size image up to 90% of its original size.
With the lossy method, images are reprocessed (such as re-encoding) so that under certain conditions it may reduce the quality.
However, in the common condition, the compression results usually still good, images look similar to the original, and we hard to see the differences.
In the lossless method, the image is compressed but not reprocessed so the quality still the same as the original. Using this method, the compressed image file size tends to be similar to the original size.
I. Online Image Compressor Review
On the internet, there are a lot of application to compress and optimize images and photos, so to limit this discussion, in this test we’ll use only some of popular applications.
This application provides a free web interface pro that can be used to compress and optimize images and photos. This web interface supports many file types: JPG, PNG, GIF, and SVG
- Upload images from a computer (one or many at once) and from an URL (pro), or from a web page (pro).
- Upload multiple images at once from a computer in a .zip file.
- Import images from cloud storage: Dropbox, Google Drive, and Box.
- Download compressed image individually or at once in a .zip file.
- There is an option to choose the compression method: lossy, lossless, or expert.
- There is an option to resize the image (pro).
- Maximum size per image 1 MB (free) and 35 Mb (pro).
- Available WordPress plugin and Joomla extension.
Fortunately: To use the pro version, we can simply register a free membership. On a free plan, we will get a quota of 100 Mb per month.
We can download the compressed file individually or at once in a .zip file, in addition, we can also directly upload it to Dropbox.
The image quality is very good, above the average, both for .jpg and .png files. However, for the .jpg file, the text part has a slightly decrease in quality. Compression size is quite large (my be the largest) compared with others.
Shortpixel is a free online image compressor application that supports both image files: JPG, PNG, GIF, and PDF files.
We can use Shotpixel’s web interface to compress and optimize up to 50 images with the maximum file size of 10Mb for each image. If we want to compress more than 50 images, we need to register (Free) and we’ll get a quota of 100 images/month.
- Upload one or many files at once from a computer (bulk upload).
- Download the compressed images individually (doesn’t support bulk file download).
- Provide a WordPress plugin.
The compression image quality is good, both for .jpg and .png files. However, for the .jpg file, the text part has a noticeable decrease in quality.
However, the file size generated by this application is very small, so if the file size is your priority, then this application is a good alternative that can be taken into account especially if your images has no text.
TinyJPG and TinyPNG are the same. They are another free online image compressor tool to compress and optimize images and photos both for JPG and PNG. In addition, this application also provides photoshop plugin.
With this application, we allowed to upload up to 20 images with the maximum file size for each image of 5Mb.
- Upload one or many images at once from a computer (bulk upload).
- We can download compressed image individually or all at once in a .zip file. In addition, we can also directly upload the compressed images to the dropbox.
- Providing a Photoshop plugin (pro).
- Providing a web page Analyzer (pro)
- Providing a WordPress plugin.
- Providing a Magento extension.
The image quality is good, both for .jpg and .png files, however, just like the Shortpixel, for .jpg images, the text section has a slightly decrease in quality.
This application is intended to compress photos, so it only supports JPG images.
This application provides 2 interfaces for compressing images, through the web (free) and through the desktop application (pro). The desktop app is available for both Windows and Mac.
The desktop version provides a trial period to try the app. The desktop app with pro version comes with an extension for photoshop and a plugin for lightroom.
There is no limitation to compress image through the web interface, both for the number and the size of the images.
- Upload image from a computer individually (doesn’t support bulk upload).
- We can only download the compressed image individually (doesn’t support bulk file download).
- Providing Lightroom and photoshop plugins (paid).
The image quality is really good, maybe this is the best compared to the others, not like the others, the text part of JPG image has really good in quality.
The image size generated by this application is quite large, above the average, however, if the quality is your priority, then this file size doesn’t matter.
Compressor is an ajax based online image compressor that supports various image file types: JPG, PNG, GIF, and SVG.
Compressor does not limit the number of images we want to upload, but only limit the image size, maximum of 10 Mb for each image.
- Upload image from a computer individually (doesn’t support bulk upload).
- Download compressed image individually (doesn’t support bulk download).
- Providing an option to choose the compression methods: lossy and lossless.
- We can also directly upload the compressed image to Dropbox or Google Drive.
The quality of compressed images is good, both for .jpg and .png. But, just like the others, the text part of the .jpg file has a slightly decrease in quality.
Optimizilla provides an option to set the image quality level on a scale of 1-100 (the default is 90). There is also a preview to compare images before and after compression at the chosen image quality level.
- Upload one or many images at once from a computer (by selecting all the images we want to upload).
- We can download the compressed image individually or at once in a .zip file
- There is an option to set image quality level in 1-100 scale and real-time previews that display original image and compressed images at that quality level.
The compression results for both JPEG and PNG files are good, especially for JPG, but the text part of the image has a slightly decrease in quality.
One of the powerful free online image compressor tools that support JPG, PNG, and GIF images. In addition, ImageRecycle can also be used to compress PDF files.
- Upload images from a computer individually (doesn’t support bulk upload).
- We can only download the compressed image individually (doesn’t support bulk download).
- There is no limitation both for the number and the size of the file.
- Supports lossy and lossless compression.
- There is an option to resize images and an option to not remove metadata (pro).
- Compress images from URL (pro).
- Analyze images on from a web page (pro).
The pro version is starting at $10 with a 10,000 image quota per year. In addition, it offers more features compared to the Kraken and TinyJPG, the full comparison listed here.
II. Feature Comparison
In the above article, we have discussed in detail the features of each application. To make it easier to compare, here is the comparison in a table form:
|Vendor||Maximum||Bulk (Mass Upload & Download)||File Type||Lossy & Lossless|
|Kraken||20 Image||Upload & Download||JPEG, PNG, GIF, SVG||Lossy & Lossless|
|Compressor||10 Mb||No||JPEG, PNG, GIF, SVG||Lossy & Lossless|
|Shortpixel||50 Image, 10 Mb each||Upload & Download||JPEG, PNG, GIF, PDF||Lossy & Lossless|
|TinyJPG||20 Image, 5 Mb each||Upload & Download||JPEG, PNG||Lossy|
|Optimizilla||20 Image||Upload & Download||JPEG, PNG||Lossy|
|ImageRecycle||No Limitation||No||JPEG, PNG, GIF, PDF||Lossy|
III. Online Image Compressor – Results Comparison
The compressed image size of each application is differ depending on its quality. Here is the comparison of the compressed image size:
|File Size||File Type||Compressor||Kraken||Shortpixel||JPEGmini||TinyJPG||Optimizilla||ImageRecycle|
|1.19 Mb||JPEG||317 Kb||561 Kb||216 Kb||450 Kb||237 Kb||374 Kb||317 Kb|
|536.15 Kb||JPEG||96. 8 Kb||184.82 Kb||98.6 Kb||176.5 Kb||125.4 Kb||122.5 Kb||96.8 Kb|
|166.81 Kb||JPEG||31.1 Kb||58.35 Kb||37. 4 Kb||62.3 Kb||29 Kb||39.8 Kb||31.1 Kb|
|87.87 Kb||PNG||47.5 Kb||43.0 Kb||80.6 Kb||–||44.6 Kb||49.1 Kb||55.2 Kb|
The above table shows that for JPG file with size large than 1 Mb, Shortpixel produces the smallest file size, while Kraken produces the largest file size.
The size of images generated by each application is in line with the quality of compressed images, the larger the file size is usually the better the quality of the compressed image.
To make it easier to compare the compressed image quality, here we show the compressed image of all applications side by side:
The above image shows that the best quality image is generated by JPEGmini, followed by Kraken, Shortpixel, TinyJPG, Optimizilla, ImageRecycle, and Compressor.
IV. So, Which One Should I Use?
After testing varieties of free online image compressor applications, it can be concluded that for JPG image, the application that produces the best result are (ordered from the best):
HOWEVER if our JPG image consists only graphics, without text, all the application produce similar image quality, hard to see the difference, so we may consider using ImageRecycle or Compressor as they produce the smallest file size.
For PNG files (we have not tested here), images generated by each application are really good, both for graphics and text, so choose the application that produces the smallest file size that are:
Am I Missing Something?
I’ve put together the best app I’ve ever known, so if you find something better, please let me and the readers know by commenting below and I should add it to the list.
Image credit: themeum.com